Saturday, October 22, 2011

Running...It's for my son!

Running and me have had a on again off again relationship. I don't especially hate running, in fact there are times when I am out running (especially in the early morning) when it can be extremely enjoyable! But the consistency that running requires to have any visible benefit has eluded me for some time.

Nike+ iPhone Load ScreenUp to this point it has been the typical run a few times, then fall of the wagon routine. Frustrated by the lack of consistency I have kept plugging away. Every few week/months I pull my running stuff out and hit the pavement hoping this will be the run that makes it stick. Today was another one of those days. Got in a descent 1.5 mile run/walk with the help of a great app on my iPhone (Nike+). Not sure what feels so different about today, but something feels different. Maybe it's that fact that since mid July I have lost 30+ lbs (that is more than my son weighs), or maybe it's the fact that I have this blog to write about it, or maybe its because the weather was so nice today. I don't know for sure, but this is what I do know, I have been working hard to take control of my body and this working out thing is the next thing on my list.

My motivation for weight loss and exercise is a simple one, my son. It's because of my son that I am working so hard. I want to be around for a long time with him, I want to be able to run around the playground with him and not be out of breath with the distinct feeling that I might just die right there on the curly slide and I want to set a good example for him of what it means to take care of the body the God gives us.

Nike+ Main ScreenBelieve me, I am not a workout or health food fanatic. I just came to realize that in order to accomplish my goals and be the Dad I need to be for Jackson it means hard work, it means saying "no" to some foods and snacks I LOVE to eat and it's going to mean continuing to get back out there and RUN.

If you want to help me keep it up, you can encourage me on FACEBOOK (I post all my runs) or if you have an iPhone jump on Nike+ and lets track our runs/walks together!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment