Monday, February 27, 2012

Guys have a strange way of saying goodbye…

I started realizing that guys have a strange way of saying goodbye as we pulled out of the shopping center parking lot. Our family had just finished having a final lunch with one of our very best friends. My wife cried as we drove away…it seemed the right response in a time like this but it was not there for me. I was sad, but something was not sinking in. I had just said the very same goodbyes but inside I was struggling. Surly this was not a goodbye forever (it won’t be)…surely this will be a brief separation (it’s not)… I guess at this point I can just say I am struggling…

The Dunn’s are an amazing family. Jag (Dad and Father) is bravely and boldly leading his family into an adventure that few would be brave enough or committed enough to undertake. He is embarking on a journey that will take up a good part of the next 20 years of his and his family’s life. He and his family left yesterday for Papua New Guinea. The sacrifice they are making to live among an unreached people group is nothing less than amazing.

To say Jag has earned my respect is an understatement. If you had a chance to talk with Jag or Abby they would in no way brag about or prop themselves up for the work they are doing. (So I will)! The Dunn’s are skipping out on what we as American’s feel are basic comforts and necessities… They will build their own home, setup solar panels so they can have electricity, learn a foreign tribal language (without a handy RosettaStone course), raise their kids in the jungle, provide basic medical care to each other, and so much more it would make this post much too long. The adventure the Dunn’s officially started yesterday is a big one, but they are trusting God. They are confident in their call and they are clear on their mission.

I think this is why I struggle. I struggle with the sadness I feel because it is shared with the pride that I have. I am so proud of the Dunn’s. I am so proud of what they have already done and what they are going to do on the mission field. I am so privileged to know a couple like Jag and Abby.

Jag an Abby…Guys have a strange way of saying goodbye, and although I struggled with our goodbye a few days ago, it does not change the fact that I will miss you both. You have made such an impact on my life and the life of my family. I can’t wait to see how God uses you next.

Until next time… I Love You Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment