Monday, February 27, 2012

The priceless value of…TIME

Lately I have come to realize that above anything else I give my son, time is the most important. Sure, he may love getting a new toy, playing on my iPad (not recommended if you ever want to get it back), or watching TV but those things are not going to last…when my son is older he is not going to look back at his childhood and say “man I am glad my Dad let me play with his iPad”! But yet, it seems that the culture that surrounds me as a parent shouts louder and louder that how much stuff I give my son is the measure of success.

Today while spending the morning with my son on errands, (None of them exciting) I was reminded of how much more important my time is for my son than anything else I could give him. Walking through the store was a chance to discover new things, eating lunch together a chance to laugh and be silly, playing at the park an opportunity for a little adventure and risk. It is our time together that he will remember when he is older. He will remember that his dad valued him, that his dad cared for him, and that his dad thought enough of him to WANT to spend time with him.

There are days when I am tired, busy, or just admittedly distracted, and although 24/7 with my son is not realistic or maybe even healthy, I need to constantly watch for the opportunity! I need to intentionally plan time for my son.

Side Note: Here is something I can’t wait to do with my son! I think he may need to be a little bit older first though…




What else do you spend time doing with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment